spot_img
spot_imgspot_img
August 20, 2026 - 10:11 PM

North Korea fires ‘short range’ projectile: US official

The US said Wednesday that Pyongyang had fired a short-range projectile, while South Korean media reported that two had been launched.

The firing comes ahead of US-South Korean military exercises next month that North Korea has warned could affect the planned resumption of denuclearization talks between Washington and Pyongyang.

“I can confirm that it was… short-range” a US official told newsmen, speaking on condition of anonymity. He did not say when the launch was carried out.

The North “fired one unidentified projectile at 5:34 am and the other at 5:57 am, from Wonsan areas into the East Sea, and they flew around 430 kilometers (267 miles),” according to Seoul’s Joint Chiefs of Staff, cited by the South’s Yonhap news agency.

“Our military is closely monitoring the situation in case of additional launches and maintaining a readiness posture,” Yonhap quoted the JCS as saying.

Pyongyang last fired short-range missiles on May 9, which US President Donald Trump called “very standard stuff” that, he said, had not affected his relationship with the North’s leader Kim Jong Un.

Kim and Trump agreed to a resumption of dialogue at an impromptu June 30 meeting they held in the Demilitarized Zone that divides the two Koreas.

But last week, North Korea issued its warning over the military drills, which have been held for years and were scaled down to ease tensions with nuclear-armed Pyongyang.

 

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted

Share post:

Subscribe

Latest News

More like this
Related

2027: It Will Reverse Nigeria’s Progress – Presidency Fires Back at Atiku Over Plan to Restore Petrol Subsidy

Special Adviser to the President on Information and Strategy,...

Don’t Call Me Tony — Elumelu Reacts After Woman Addresses Him by First Name

Nigerian billionaire businessman and philanthropist, Tony Elumelu, has sparked...

Burna Boy, Tems Get 2026 VMA Nods as MTV Drops Afrobeats Category

Nigerian artists Burna Boy and Tems have received nominations...

40 Feared Dead as Canoe Carrying Rice Farmers Overturns in Sokoto

What began as a routine journey to the rice...
Join us on
For more updates, columns, opinions, etc.
WhatsApp
0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x