spot_img
spot_imgspot_img
May 19, 2026 - 5:51 PM

Jonathan Has Entered 2027 Presidential Race, Already Bought Nomination Form— PDP Chieftain Umar Sani

A former presidential aide and Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) chieftain, Umar Sani, has claimed that former President Goodluck Jonathan has already obtained a presidential nomination form ahead of the 2027 general elections.

Sani, who served as Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity to former Vice President Namadi Sambo, made the assertion during an appearance on Trust TV on Tuesday.

He also expressed confidence that a legal challenge questioning Jonathan’s eligibility to contest the presidency again would fail, insisting the matter had already been settled by the courts.

“We are very confident that the matter will be thrown out because you cannot relitigate something that has already been decided upon,” Sani said.

According to him, only the Supreme Court has the authority to overturn earlier judgments on Jonathan’s eligibility, adding that the pending suit before Justice Peter Lifu is likely to be dismissed for lack of jurisdiction when it comes up on May 26.

His remarks come amid renewed political consultations reportedly linked to Jonathan across various political circles, fuelling speculation that the former president may be weighing a return to frontline politics nearly 12 years after leaving office.

Although Jonathan has not publicly declared any political ambition or confirmed a platform, Sani suggested that internal challenges within the PDP may be influencing his cautious approach to politics.

He maintained, however, that Jonathan’s recent engagements point to clear political intent.

“In politics, what is important is action. If you are interested, there are processes you must follow, one of which is the procurement of nomination forms. He has done that,” he said.

Pressed further on whether Jonathan had indeed obtained the form, Sani replied: “Yes, and in fact, he is about to come and submit the forms publicly.”

The PDP chieftain also dismissed claims that Jonathan’s name was being exploited for political relevance, insisting the former president still enjoys significant goodwill among Nigerians.

“Most Nigerians know him and are nostalgic about Jonathan. At the time he left office, many people felt the PDP was not performing, but now Nigerians have seen the difference clearly,” he added.

Jonathan, who served as Nigeria’s president from 2010 to 2015, lost his reelection bid to former President Muhammadu Buhari.

Since leaving office, he has largely kept a low political profile, focusing on diplomatic and mediation roles across Africa.

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Share post:

Subscribe

Latest News

More like this
Related

What If We’ve Been Wrong About Direct Primaries All Along?

We keep being told that direct primaries are the...

Frank Edoho’s Ex-Wife Sandra Leaks Receipts, Makes Abuse & Cheating Allegations

The public dispute between Frank Edoho and his ex-wife,...

Former Power Minister Saleh Mamman Apprehended by EFCC in Kaduna

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has arrested...

Three Months in Office, Some Tried to Turn Tinubu Against Me -Shettima

Vice-President Kashim Shettima has disclosed that some individuals allegedly...
Join us on
For more updates, columns, opinions, etc.
WhatsApp
0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x