spot_img
spot_imgspot_img
May 22, 2026 - 9:45 AM

Defence HQ Denies Terrorist Base in South West, Calls Oyo Attack Isolated

The Defence Headquarters has dismissed reports of a permanent terrorist base in the South West, saying the recent attack on schools in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State was an isolated criminal incident.

Chief of Defence Staff General Olufemi Olatunbosun Oluyede, speaking on behalf of the Armed Forces of Nigeria, extended condolences to the families of victims, the Oyo State government, and Nigerians over the abduction of children and staff from Baptist Nursery and Primary School, Yawota; Community Grammar School, Ahoro-Esinele; and L.A. Primary School.

Oluyede described the abductions as “a callous and reprehensible act that strikes at the heart of every Nigerian.”

He assured families that the military is deploying its full weight to secure the safe and unconditional release of all victims, and urged Nigerians to remain calm, united, and cooperate with security forces.

The Defence Headquarters said it was responding to media reports and public speculation suggesting that terrorist elements had established a permanent operational base in the South West following the Oyo attack.

“It is pertinent to state that the incident was an isolated criminal act and does not reflect the existence of any entrenched terrorist structure in the region,” the statement said.

It noted that the Armed Forces had earlier conducted a comprehensive clearance operation in the Old Oyo National Park, which it said neutralized the operational capacity of criminal elements in that corridor.

According to the military, current intelligence does not support the existence of any structured or permanent terrorist base in the forests or hinterlands of the South West.

“Criminal elements, however audacious their recent activities, do not constitute an established insurgent presence,” it said, cautioning against narratives that could cause public panic or exaggerate adversaries’ capabilities.

Troops are actively operating in the forests to pursue the attackers and locate the abducted victims, the Defence HQ said.

It added that troops made contact with the criminal elements two days ago, have since reorganized, and are continuing search and pursuit operations.

The military said it is conducting intensive joint operations with other security agencies across forest corridors and ungoverned spaces in the zone, and is engaging local communities for human intelligence.

“The Armed Forces of Nigeria will not relent until every abducted victim is safely recovered, the criminal networks responsible are dismantled, and normalcy is fully restored across the South West and indeed all of Nigeria,” the statement signed by Director Defence Media Operations, Major General Michael Onoja, concluded.

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Share post:

Subscribe

Latest News

More like this
Related

We Found Political Home With Peter Obi- Kwankwasiyya Movement Reject Claims of Secret 2027 Pact With Tinubu

The Kwankwasiyya Movement has dismissed claims by the Kano...

When Inability to Pass Becomes Ability and License to Teach

I have written several columns on JAMB’s cut-off marks...

A Guest in His Own House

Her husband leaves at 7am and gets home at...

139 Dead from DR Congo Ebola Outbreak, Angry Residents Burn Treatment Center

Health authorities in eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo...
Join us on
For more updates, columns, opinions, etc.
WhatsApp
0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x