spot_img
spot_imgspot_img
August 19, 2026 - 1:00 PM

Army Hands 18 Illegal Miners to NSCDC Mining Marshals in Niger

The Nigerian Army has handed over 18 suspected illegal miners to the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) Mining Marshals following their arrest at an illegal mining site in Izom, Gurara Local Government Area of Niger State.

The suspects were arrested by troops of the 102 Guard Battalion during a routine operation, during which the soldiers discovered unauthorised mining activities in the area.

Following established inter-agency procedures, the Army transferred the suspects and items recovered from the mining site to the NSCDC Mining Marshals Headquarters in Sauka, Abuja, for investigation and prosecution.

Commending the military, the Commander of the NSCDC Mining Marshals, Assistant Commandant of Corps John Onoja Attah, described the collaboration as a demonstration of professionalism, patriotism and commitment to protecting Nigeria’s mineral resources.

Attah said the Army’s prompt action had reinforced the collective efforts of security and regulatory agencies to rid the mining sector of illegal operators.

“The Nigerian Army has once again distinguished itself through professionalism, discipline and patriotism. The swift arrest of the suspects and their prompt handover to the Mining Marshals reflect a commendable commitment to the rule of law and the protection of Nigeria’s solid mineral resources,” he said.

Preliminary investigations by the Mining Marshals revealed that the suspects allegedly had no valid mining licences, permits or links to any registered mining company.

The investigation also found that the suspects could not provide evidence of lawful mineral titles or authorisation from the relevant regulatory authorities.

READ ALSO: NSCDC, Fire Service Prompt Intervention Saves Over N200bn Property as Fire Guts Anambra Secretariat

Several items allegedly used in the illegal mining operation were recovered, including motorcycles, pumping machines, crusher engines and communication devices. Security officials also recovered cash amounting to ₦2,468,750.

Attah reiterated the Mining Marshals’ resolve to prosecute those involved in the illegal exploitation of Nigeria’s mineral resources.

He further assured legitimate players in the solid minerals sector that the Mining Marshals would continue to enforce the provisions of the Nigerian Minerals and Mining Act, 2007, and protect the country’s mineral wealth from unlawful exploitation.

The Mining Marshals disclosed that investigations had been concluded and that the 18 suspects were being processed for prosecution under the relevant provisions of the Nigerian Minerals and Mining Act, 2007.

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted

Share post:

Subscribe

Latest News

More like this
Related

ASUU-AAUA Strike Continues as Union Says Key Demands Remain Unresolved

The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), Adekunle Ajasin...

Japan Commits N20bn to Help Address Nigeria’s Electricity Grid Challenges

The Government of Japan, through the Japan International Cooperation...

Zion Suzuki: This is a Story Worth Knowing

It's not every day you see a 'Black Japanese'...

Angelique Kidjo Becomes First African Musician With Hollywood Walk of Fame Star

Five-time Grammy Award winner Angelique Kidjo has become the...
Join us on
For more updates, columns, opinions, etc.
WhatsApp
0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x