Indonesia’s first would-be female suicide bomber has been sentenced to seven-and-a-half years jail over a plot to attack the presidential palace in Jakarta, her defence lawyers say.
Dian Yulia Novi, along with six others including her husband, is accused of plotting the suicide-bomb attack targeting guards in December 2016.
The 28-year-old’s trial was expedited because she is due to give birth on September 2.
Her defence lawyer, Kamsi, said Novi would not appeal the sentence handed down at East Jakarta court.
“She accepted it immediately,” Kamsi told AAP on Monday.
Novi’s trial heard she was working as a migrant worker in Taiwan about 2015 when she became active on social media and began accessing jihadist websites.
In October 2016, she wed her husband, Muhamad Nur Solikin, in an online wedding ceremony because she wanted to be married before carrying out a suicide attack.
Prosecutors say that between December 3 and December 7, the husband and wife, along with three other men bought a pressure cooker and began preparations to make a bomb.
All this, prosecutors allege, was done under the direction of Bahrun Naim, an Indonesian member of the Islamic State group in Syria.
Naim allegedly told Novi to target guards at the presidential palace in Jakarta on December 11.
If this “mission” failed, he said, she should target those guarding then Jakarta governor – a Christian man of Chinese descent, Basuki Tjahaja Purnama, also known as Ahok.
Novi was arrested the day before the planned attack at her rental home in Bekasi, West Java.
Novi told her trial that she wished to carry out the plot to create “good deeds” for her parents.
“The blessing from jihad could help my parents enter heaven,” Novi said earlier in August.
It is not known where Novi will give birth to her child.