Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, has ordered an investigation into senior civil servants allegedly responsible for granting illegal approvals the convert green areas into car dealership lots in Abuja.
Mr Lere Olayinka, Senior Special Assistant to the Minister on Public Communications and Social Media, disclosed this in a statement on Wednesday in Abuja.
Olayinka said the affected officials, particularly the Directors of Parks and Recreation, Environmental Protection, Traffic Management and Urban Affairs, had been summoned by the FCT Head of Service, Nancy Nathan.

He said Wike had also directed the immediate stoppage of the use of green areas, parks and gardens in the nation’s capital as car dealership lots.
According to him, a task force had been constituted to enforce the directive and ensure compliance.
“The minister decried the use of areas designated for parks and recreation, such as the Millennium Park and other locations, as car lots.
“Wike directed that all unauthorized use of such areas be closely monitored to ensure compliance,” he said.
Olayinka said the directive was part of the FCT Administration’s efforts to address flooding in parts of Abuja and preserve areas designated for recreation and environmental protection.
READ ALSO: NICOCUSA Plans Afrocentric Expo to Promote African Culture, Creative Economy
On Tuesday, Wike ordered the demolition of houses and other structures built on waterways across the FCT.
He also directed the Director of Facility Maintenance and Management of the Abuja Environmental Protection Board to commence the desilting of drainage channels as part of measures to tackle flooding on major roads across the capital.

