Hello and welcome! In today’s trending news stories;
1. The Delta State APC chapter has accused Governor Sheriff Oborevweri of inflating three flyover contracts by N50 billion, questioning the necessity of spending N78 billion on three flyovers. The party alleged kickbacks and expressed doubts about project completion within eight years. The governor’s office however dismissed the claims as baseless, emphasizing Julius Berger’s use of advanced technology for the 27-month project.
2. The Nigerian Senate’s Committee on Gas Resources has threatened to involve the EFCC in recovering the N135 billion CBN intervention loan given to 15 oil and gas companies under the Nigeria Gas Expansion Program. The committee, led by Chairman Jarigbe, cited concerns about inconsistent fund utilization and non-compliance with guidelines. Companies failing to adhere to the loan’s purpose may face EFCC intervention. Preliminary investigations reveal discrepancies, and the committee plans a thorough inquiry into the matter.
3. Nnamdi Kanu, the leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), has instructed his followers to remain steadfast and committed to their cause. The directive was given during a meeting between Kanu and his legal team, led by Aloy Ejimakor. Kanu expressed appreciation for those who have positively influenced the situation during his ongoing incarceration. The information was shared by Ejimakor via the X platform.
4. Erik ten Hag has expressed concern over the defensive mistakes of Andre Onana, as he has made four mistakes leading to shots, two of which resulted in goals—more than any other goalkeeper. Statistically, Onana has conceded 2.41 goals more than expected. This issue is crucial as he plays a critical role in United’s hopes of qualifying for the knockout stages. The club’s upcoming clash with Bayern adds further significance to addressing these defensive challenges.
5. Nabil Fekir, who has had a challenging 2023, marked by a serious anterior cruciate ligament injury that kept him out for eight months, recently returned to play for Real Betis but had to be substituted in his first start due to a hip injury caused by a blow from an opponent’s knee. Despite the setback, Betis hopes the issue is precautionary as they’d like to see him return to match fitness.
6. The Ooni of Ife, Oba Adeyeye Ogunwusi along with Queen Aderonke Ademiluyi-Ogunwusi hosted the cast of the reality show “Real Housewives of Lagos.” In an Instagram video shared on Thursday, some cast members visited the monarch in his palace, where he discussed witchcraft with them. Notable personalities like Iyabo Ojo, Chioma Ikokwu, and Tania Omotayo were seen in the video. The Ooni claimed that all women have a witchcraft spirit but emphasized its positive aspect as a form of manipulation. In response, Iyabo Ojo sought clarification about whether he meant all women were witches – to which the king affirmed, adding that they were “good witches.”
7. Morayo Afolabi-Brown, who has been the anchor of the ‘Your View’ chat show for 10 years and previously served as the Deputy Director of Programmes at TVC, is set to take on a new role as the head of TVC Entertainment, the No. 1-rated Lagos television channel. TVC Communications CEO, Andrew Hanlon, expressed confidence in Morayo’s ability to elevate the TVC E channel. Morayo, in turn, emphasized her goal to enhance the channel’s success with a diverse mix of local and international content.