spot_img
spot_imgspot_img
August 19, 2026 - 5:51 PM

Sanwo-Olu Denies Increasing Minimum Wage

The Lagos State Government has denied the news making the wave that it has increased the minimum wage to N70,000.

A statement by the Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Gbenga Omotoso said the Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu administration “has not increased the minimum wage, contrary to the impression in some media reports, which emanated from the unveiling of Eko Cares – the umbrella for the various interventions to protect the poor against the effects of the prevailing economic hardship. The event was held at the Governor’s Office in Ikeja on Wednesday”.

“Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu has been erroneously quoted as saying that a new minimum wage of N70,000 had been announced. This is wrong. Mr. Governor never said so. He said since January, civil servants had been earning the N35,000 wage award directed by the Federal Government. In other words, those earning N35,000 now earn N70,000. He did not announce a new minimum wage of N70,000”.

Clarifying the issue, Omotoso noted that Sanwo-Olu said: “I know that by the grace of God very very soon we’ll see a new minimum wage that will be approved for the Federal Government and the State government. The civil servants and all public officers, they know that since January we have continued to pay the wage allowance of a minimum of N35,000 over and above what they were earning before.

“People that were earning a minimum of N35,000 to N40,000 before, they are now earning over N70,000. So, it’s important for people to know and for us to lay this thing very clearly. This government has doubled up and has not left its citizens on their own…”.

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted

Share post:

Subscribe

Latest News

More like this
Related

Matters Arising From Bauchi 

It sounds like a joke, but it is not....

Chidimma Adetshina Deportation Case Adjourned to February 2027

A Cape Town regional court has postponed judgment in...

Okorocha Sues INEC Over Uzodinma’s Imo West Senatorial Candidacy

Former Imo State Governor and Senator, Rochas Okorocha, has...

Kaycee’s Arrest And The Need To Ask Nigeria’s Rich: Where Did The Money Come From?

The arrest of popular socialite and businessman Afolabi Kazeem...
Join us on
For more updates, columns, opinions, etc.
WhatsApp
0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x