A policeman shot dead an election observer in Umuida community, Enugu Ezike, in Igbo-Eze North Local Government Area of Enugu State.

This tragic news broke as the authorities in Katsina State, President Muhammadu Buhari’s home state have said that gunmen killed one policeman and abducted three Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) staff in the state on Saturday.

The Nigeria Police, Katsina State Command confirmed the killing alongside a Civil Defence operative and the abduction of three INEC Ad-hoc staff in Danmusa Local Government Area of the state.

Spokesman for the command, Gambo Isah, a Superintendent of Police (SP), in a statement confirmed that at about 2pm on Saturday, a patrol team on electoral duties along Gobirawa Falale – Maidabino Feeder road in Danmusa, was ambushed by armed political thugs.

Gambo noted in his statement that the thugs were led by one Mani Doro, ‘m’, aged 40yr, adding that the attack resulted in the death of a patrol vehicle driver, Mr. Mannir Usman who is attached to the Danmusa Division.

While revealing that the driver was shot by the hoodlums, noting that the victim died on the spot, Gambo also noted that three INEC ad-hoc staff on election duties were also kidnapped by the thugs.

In a related development, he stated at about 1pm, armed bandits attacked Santar Amadi village Polling Unit in Kankara Local Government Area of the state, shooting sporadically in the air, pointing out that the hoodlums were pursued by security operatives, noting that the chase resulted in the death of a Civil Defense Officer named Umar Aliyu.

The deceased took a gunshot to his chest and died instantly.

In the mean time, the observer whose identity was yet to be ascertained was shot in the head by the police officer stationed close to the residence of Ayogu Eze, governorship candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in the state.

Ebere Amarizu, Spokesman for the police in Enugu who confirmed the incident, attributed it to “accidental discharge”.

The observer was first taken to St Mary’s Hospital in Enugu Ezike before he was transferred to another hospital in Enugu town. He  was said to have had a confrontation with the policeman at a polling unit metres away from Eze’s residence.

Eze had asked his supporters to boycott the election after the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) declined his request for the election to be postponed, and for more time to campaign because his candidature was confirmed by the court two days ago.