Mad Woman Cured Of Insanity After Being Hit By Vehicle


A mentally-challenged 62-year-old Victoria Ugwu has become absolutely sane again after she was hit in an accident.

This miraculous incident reportedly occured at Ugwuawarawa in Nsukka local government area of Enugu state. It could have sent the mother of four to her grave, but instead it served as the beginning of her healing process from the protracted mental illness.

Daily Sun reports that Mrs. Ugwu, popularly known as Mama Nnenna, has been battling with madness for over 30 years and many times has gone stark naked as a result of her ill health.

Shortly after the accident, the woman was rushed to Bishop Shanahan Hospital, Nsukka, by the driver of the car that hit her. However, she refused all medical treatment and returned back home.

When reporters of Daily Sun visited her at GRA, Nsukka, where she is currently staying, she has changed from the dirty mad woman, who used to collect all sorts of dirty cloths, to a mentally stable mother. Mrs. Ugwu was busy sweeping her room and cleaning her environment.

 “I am here suffering; I don’t know what I did to people that I am put in this kind of condition. I believe that what is happening to me is not ordinary. Somebody did this to me,” she said.

When asked about what actually was wrong with her, Mama Nnenna said that her problem started about 30 years ago and wondered why she was in such an agonising situation:

“I was down there (pointing at Ugwuawara side) picking food in a dustbin when two children met me and asked me to stop picking anything there. But later they asked me to continue picking. Then, I continued but I did not know when a vehicle came and hit me. It knocked me down and ran over me.”

Mrs. Ugwu’s daughter, Nnenna, explained that “what happened to my mother can best be described as miraculous healing. I have never seen such a rapid healing. I am so happy that she is now recovering though we are currently facing challenges of getting money to buy her drugs regularly.

“Her drugs cost like N15,000 monthly but presently, I don’t have such kind of money. Even her feeding is becoming increasing difficult for me because I am the only person staying with her. I am just a staff of Nsukka Local Government Area and you know the salary is not forthcoming regularly.”

When asked where she had been all these years when her mother was ill, Nnenna explained:

“I have been with my uncle. Each and every time I came around Total filling station and saw her tattered and picking refuse from dumpsites, I always felt so bad. It was always heart rending and too difficult to imagine.”

It was gathered that days after Mrs. Ugwu left the hospital, she was found almost dead by neighbour, Paulinus Ezeaku. The man and his wife quickly took her out from the dirt to her residence.

Mrs. Ugwu’s neighbor said that her problem began in 1984 when she started taking her children to the streets and picking some food there.

“When her husband’s relations saw what was happening, they took the children away from her and she came back to stay with her husband who was then a driver with the local education authority.

“Few years after this, her husband disappeared and I alerted his relations about the development and they started looking for him. Later, they found him dead somewhere in Nsukka and took him to his village and buried him. Mrs Victoria continued living here all alone amassing all sorts of refuse to her house since all these three decades,” the neighbor added.

Speaking about her present situation, Ezeaku added:

“When we went to see her at the hospital after the accident and discovered that she couldn’t receive any medication from the hospital, I reported to the police for permission to take her back to her house and also to treat her using both orthodox and herbal medicines. I was given the permission and I brought her back here and since then, she has been getting better by the day.

“The only problem we have now is finance. I am a retired director in the Nsukka Local Government Education Authority. I have not received my gratuity neither has the government paid me pension since 2014 I retired. For this reason, I have no money to continue taking care of her medically and otherwise.”

Ezeaku revealed that some philanthropic individuals and organizations have already made donations toward the upkeep of the woman.

According to him, the signs of insanity like hallucination and soliloquizing have stopped. The woman is able to take her bath, use chewing stick in the morning and even talks to people. Therefore, he concluded that her future would be bright. However he noted that the woman still requires continuous treatment as the sickness has stayed longer in her.

Naij news – culled from:


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here