Crisis looms in sealed Enugu church


Tension was high at the Assemblies of God Church, Mount Street, Agbani Road, Enugu State, yesterday as factional members of the church gained entrance into the church building, which has been under lock and key for the past two months. It was gathered that for the past two months, two groups have been holding parallel church services simultaneously in the church compound.

It took the timely intervention of Rev. Amaechi Agbo, Senior Pastor in charge of one of the factions, to stop angry church members from disrupting the Sunday Service held inside the church.

Some members, however, vowed that they would not fold their hands next Sunday and watch the other group hold services inside the church again, pending when the court gives judgment on the matter.

It would be recalled that members of the church had two months ago engaged each other in a free-for-all following alleged transfer of a new pastor to the church.

To avert a further clash, worshippers were said to have been told by the police to conduct their services outside the compound.

A source told our correspondent that consequently, the church compound was divided into two where the rival groups erected canopies for the church services pending when the issues would be resolved.

However, violent clash is looming in the church as the group opposed to the leadership of Rev. Prof. Paul Emeka has vowed not to allow strangers take over their place of worship.

Speaking to journalists, Rev. Amaechi Agbo, a senior pastor with the church said trouble started on July 19 “when one man in my church who claims to be a lawyer but is championing illegality and unlawfulness imported Nathan Udeze to come and overthrow me, so we resisted them that day.”

Expressing anger with the way the police handled the matter, Rev. Agbo said: “I called the DPO to inform him that these people had broken into the church, he told me that we should see him by 2 pm, that we should maintain peace. I don’t know what he means by that; these people broke into the school and today into the church and the police is watching them.”

On the claim that he has been transferred out of the church, he said: “I am still in charge of this place. I came here on April 12, 2013 and till date I remain the senior Pastor in charge of this church branch.”

He alleged further, “The suspended General Superintendent of the church is behind all these; he is bringing thugs into the church.”

On the recent development, he said, “We are shocked at what happened today; if we had gone inside, there would have been bloodshed. I thank God that my members refused to confront them in the face of such provocation because something terrible would have happened here today. We call on law enforcement agencies to do the needful and avert trouble in this place.”

However, Rev. Paul Nathan Udeze, the pastor leading the factional group, said he remained the authentic priest in charge of the church.

Culled from:


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here