Military authorities, yesterday, said 78 Boko Haram insurgents were killed during the two-hour gun battle with the insurgents who tried to capture a military base in Biu, Borno State, Wednesday.
Hundreds of terrorists, including foreign nationals, in the early hours of Wednesday invaded Biu, in an attempt to capture a military base with the aim of carting the weapons in the armoury, thus expanding their operational bases.
Biu is a religiously mixed town and the largest in southern Borno. It is an important commercial centre that includes a large military base
Among the terrorists who were either killed or captured during the battle included some Chadians. Two anti-Aircraft Guns were captured from the terrorists during the operation.
Military sources told Vanguard yesterday afternoon that, no fewer than 78 bodies of the terrorists had been recovered.
Residents trooped to the scene of the fighting to see the dead gunmen and their bullet-riddled vans, Vanguard learned.
Contacted, Defence spokesman, Major General Chris Olukolade noted that the military was more concerned about the success of the operations than the figures of terrorists killed during operations.
Olukolade, nevertheless, confirmed that mopping up exercise in the area was continuing, adding: “What is important now is for us to consolidate on the victory, recapture areas where the terrorists are presently operating and restore peace to the entire north east.”
Culled from: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/01/biu-attack-78-boko-haram-terrorists-killed-military-onslaught/#sthash.iUZw5lV6.dpuf