spot_img
spot_imgspot_img
May 23, 2026 - 12:26 AM

Councillors, CDOs in Hot Seat Over ₦46m Extortion Scandal

The Katsina State Public Complaints and Anti-Corruption Commission (KTPCACC) has launched an investigation into 15 councillors accused of extortion and mismanagement of public funds.
The Commission’s Secretary, Mr. Jamilu Abdulsalam, confirmed the development in a statement released on Friday in Katsina.
According to the statement obtained by TNC, preliminary findings revealed that some Community Development Officers (CDOs) were equally implicated in allegedly extorting money from residents.
He explained that the alleged offences were committed during the distribution of subsidised fertiliser under the Community Development Programme (CDP).
“The combined alleged extortion by the CDOs and councillors exceeds N46 million. Some have admitted their roles and even begun making refunds.
“Others remain under investigation, and the Commission is pursuing all lawful means to ensure accountability and recovery of the public funds,” he said.
Abdulsalam further disclosed that the agency was probing a separate case involving the Katsina State Department of Banking and Finance over suspected diversion of more than N136.1 million.
He said investigations verified N31.8 million as legitimately spent, leaving N104.3 million under suspicion of misappropriation.
“So far, the commission has recovered over N70 million. Efforts continue to recover the balance and ensure accountability,” he noted.
The Commission’s Secretary reassured the public that every allegation was being handled with seriousness and professionalism, emphasizing that KTPCACC remained unwavering in its mission to safeguard public resources and entrench transparency.
“Members of the public are strongly encouraged to report corruption, financial misconduct, abuse of office, and related matters for investigation and necessary action,” Abdulsalam added.
On a related note, Abdulsalam revealed that the Commission had opened another probe into four secondary school principals following a referral from the State Ministry of Basic and Secondary Education.
“They allegedly mismanaged more than N6.6 million, while one of them is also accused of selling school property,” he said.
0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
0 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Share post:

Subscribe

Latest News

More like this
Related

Kauran Bauchi: An Architect of Modern Bauchi State

Politics is not merely the struggle for power; it...

BREAKING: Police Take Over ADC Secretariat as Crisis Erupts in Benue State

A crisis has erupted within the African Democratic Congress...

Army Repels Boko Haram Ambush on Maiduguri–Monguno Road

The Nigerian Army has confirmed that its troops killed...

Wali Demolishes Rivals, Seizes Yobe APC Governorship Ticket

Former Secretary to the Yobe State Government, Alhaji Baba...
Join us on
For more updates, columns, opinions, etc.
WhatsApp
0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x