A retired Director of Military Procurement at the Defence Headquarters, Brig. Gen. Ayodele Ojo, and a Lagos-based security expert, Dr. Ona Ekhomu, has said the Boko Haram was planning a nationwide expansion of its Islamic caliphate.
The sect has already seized no fewer than 13 communities in the North East.
The retired army general and Ekhomu stated that the exploits of the Sunni Jihadist group in the Middle East, the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, was motivating the Boko Haram insurgents to overrun communities and towns in the North East.
In a telephone interview with one of our correspondents, Ojo warned the Nigerian armed forces to change their tactics from waging a “counter-insurgency operation” to an “all-out war” to prevent the security situation from further deteriorating.
He said, “It is obvious that their (Boko Haram) plan is to expand their Caliphate with the aim of establishing an Islamic State in Nigeria. They started with the hoisting of their flag in Damboa, Borno State.
“The exploits of ISIS in Syria and Iraq was the tonic they, the Boko Haram insurgents, needed. From the North East, they would now expand their caliphate to cover the entire country. I believe the Federal Government is aware of this.”
The general, who during his military service participated in several peace keeping operations, including the ECOMOG Operation in Liberia, said it was shocking to note that terrorism which was alien to the Nigerian culture was becoming a regular feature of its national life.
Stating that members of the Nigerian armed forces were up to the task of maintaining the territorial integrity of the country, he added that the Defence Headquarters should improve upon specialised training for its men in battling terrorism.
In an interview with one of our correspondents, Ekhomu said the sect was trying to actualise its aspiration to rule Nigeria and introduce its fundamental brand of Islam into the system.
He said, “Their real goal was to grab territory to exercise sovereignty over the land. If you remember, they had in the past controlled about eight local government areas in Borno State. They control these places before the emergency rule was declared on May 14, 2013.
“With the emergency rule and the subsequent troop surge, they were chased away into the Sambisa forest. Now, they are resurgent; they are pushing to regain what they lost. They are reading news and they can see what is happening around the world.”
The security expect said the sect members could have links with ISIS and other terrorist organisations, adding that they were all cut from the fundamental cloth.
Ekhomu added that some foreigners had been fighting on the side of the insurgents and giving them tactical support. The expert urged the government to declare a total war on the insurgents to end their reign.
Culled from: http://www.nigeriamasterweb.com/paperfrmes.html